According to Tony Pringle of Cicli Berlinetta (pictured), staff at the wonderful bicycle shop in Berlin speak “fluent Campagnolo”, not that you really need another reason to go there. Check out the colours!
Notes On The Advantages & Disadvantages of Knitted Bicycles
• Prevents scratches
• Keeps your frame warm
• Is cute and cuddly
• Something do make during the winter months
|A knitted bicycle: did you ever see etc etc|
• Gets wet easily
• Stitches can be dropped easily when knitting
• Won’t get respect from fixed-gear riders (possible Pro?)
• Requires matching skirt/trousers
|Even the lock is knitted|
TenForMen: Some modern lifestyle conundra that may or may not be worth pondering on while ironing your turn-ups.
1. What atmospheric, seasonal and social conditions must be met before it is acceptable to start wearing shorts?
2. Why are Clarks desert boots so squidgy?
3. What is the appropriate response when, on being asked by a (possibly attractive) woman for a light, another man steals the show by getting in there first with a flame?
4. Is it acceptable to dress like your dad if you’re dad was in, say, The Clash, The Specials, or The Jam.
5. What is the best kind of music to drown out public service announcements on Virgin Rail, TFL etc?
6. How old are the band Oasis in geological terms?
7. Are Blackberrys fundamentally more masculine than iPhones?
8. Rather than just dressing like a mountaineer, why not simply be a mountaineer?
9. What intriguing hand signals will Mark Cavendish make when winning Tour De France stages this year?
10. What is the point, generally?
Hand-drying Is An Important pleasure
It comes to Manzine’s attention that the World Dryer Co. has recently markered a new hand dryer to rival the awesome, vandal-proof Model A, the “SMARTDri”. This one was spotted in an airport convenience and was enjoyable to use, along with being effective in drying. Apparently it is an “intelligent” device; Manzine tried to strike up a conversation with it about the limitations of laissez-faire capitalism, but all we got was hot was hot air which in itself is perhaps the perfect response.
The black model looks really good too. More here on this exciting development
Manzine Mutt of the Month, March
Name: Sydney • Type: black Labrador • Location: outside Jet-Foto Memhardstrasse, Berlin • Anarchic-ness: 9/10.
|Christian Jungeblodt took the picture|
Things That Are What They Appear To Be No.5: "Bier" & "Mann"
This Berlin brewery take an approach to naming that draws as much from Marcus Aurelius ("Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself?) as from Ronseal ("it does exactly what it says on the tin".) Their beer is called "bier", while they also market these gender-specific, what-it-is-in-itself T-shirts.
Manzine has not sampled the bier so cannot pronounce on its tastes.
It looks good though, doesn't it?
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders, March 2011
• Coffee in Italy
• Hanging around backstage with bands while not knowing how they are or what they sound like
• The paintings of John Singer Sergeant
• Nike over-the-knee lycra running shorts
• Candied ginger bonbons
• Alpine mountaineering in tweed
• Prestat choc and their boxes
• The speed with which parmesan dries out
• Gigs with so much dry ice they obscure the lead singer (if the gig in question is the Sisters Of Mercy, that may be no bad thing…)
• People who go on about Apps the whole time
• The point where self-deprecation bleeds into self-loathing
• The extreme distress caused by a visit to Ikea’s curtain department
• iPad gestures transposed onto newspaper/magazine reading
Manzine issue No.5 is in the works. Watch this space.